Songs and Memories!

It's always amazing to me how a moment can take you by surprise.  How in a minute I can go from feeling content to frustrated or sad to ecstatic and everything in between.  The mind is an amazing thing.  Emotion can sneak up out of nowhere.  I've found this to definitely to be the case after becoming a Mother.  I don't mean hormones after birth, I mean the entire journey. Something as simple as a scent or song can bring such intense memories.

Recently, while sitting in the waiting room of one of my Mom's doctors appointments, the receptionist put on a Norah Jones CD.  I remember listening to this CD so many years ago and loving it.  Her voice, at the time was something so refreshing and different.  Back in those days, my husband and I were freshly married and starting our life together.  We had just returned from our honeymoon in Aruba, were settling nicely into married life on the coast of Maine.  Our whole lives ahead.  A future. Real dreams. Big dreams.  I remember listening to her music through these early days, our house was quieter back then, we had a lot of leisure time, late night talks, dinners out, trips to Boston, weekend trips throughout New England, lazy weekend mornings.  Isn't it fascinating? How one compilation of music can just bring you back to those days? Those feelings?

Now, reflecting on almost 16 years ago, I am so grateful to still have my husband as my partner, my confidant and my best friend.  We've had a lovely life, we've been blessed, we've laughed and cried, and fought and seemingly experienced every emotion in between.  I'm lucky and sometimes I need to just stop and realize this.  Live in the moment.  Live in the NOW. I need to stop wondering why things are the way they are if they aren't perfect.  

Because after all this time, 19 years, I'm still grateful he chose me and I chose him.  I guess I better pull out the Norah Jones every now and then and REMEMBER.  

I hope you have a great weekend ahead - and take some time to do what makes you happy!  Happy Friday my friends! 

Comments

  1. Aww this is so sweet!! I love how music can take us back to a moment in time! It is hard to remember to live in the moment. It's a constant struggle!! We're going to Aruba in June..can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many songs that fill me with memories! They can take me back to a certain time in my life.....sometimes great times.....sometimes to a challenging time, but I love how they bring back such strong memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, I love this. That's actually some really great advice too. Music does have a way of taking you back and I never thought about using it intentionally when I need to remember the good times. My husband and I are going on 15 years of marriage, so we are not that far behind you! Can you believe it's been that long already?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a few songs recently take me back in time - and it is so weird how quickly the time passes!
    19 years is a long time to be together. That's a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts