31 Days of Holiday: Princess Inspired DIY Costume!

Being a Princess or another Fairytale character for Halloween is big business. Just stroll though any aisle of Target and you'll see it's mind boggling to try to decide which costume to choose!  The costumes can be pricy and itchy.  My older daughter wanted to go alongside her sister but didn't want to look like every other Anna out there. If you want a simple, Princess inspired costume, they are easy enough to create and take residual art skills.  Keep in mind, use what you have and it doesn't have to be perfect!  We are talking Halloween here people not the inauguration!

First decide which character you want to make.  Remember, the costume is "inspired" not the exact replica.  From there, grab a recycled t-shirt, paint to your heart's content!


For the Princess Anna from Frozen inspired costume, I started with a simple black t-shirt and painted directly on the t-shirt with similar colors.  I did do this freehand but you could sketch it out with a marker if desired.  I wasn't so concerned with it being perfect so I went for it. 
I checked out the clearance rack at TJMaxx and scored this size XXS women's skirt with a tiny elastic waist.  It was the perfect royal blue so it felt like it was meant to be and for $3 bucks, how could I go wrong?  I simply trimmed the bottom of the skirt so it wasn't too long.  
Lastly, I grabbed this pink shirt from the clearance rack for $2 - it was the perfect color so I thought I could deconstruct it and "make it work"!  With a little cutting, some simple stitches and a few dabs of hot glue, the cape was born! 
Not too bad for a costume that cost me about $6 in supplies and an hour or so of my time!  Riley's smiling face was all the approval I needed!  

Sometimes looking a little different than everybody else is EXACTLY what you want to be for Halloween (especially when you're ten!) 
For more of my 31 Days posts, visit my main directory page here!
 

Comments

  1. Love it! And, much more age appropriate than some of the other costumes you found in the stores!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts