Salsa!

This week has been particularly Fall like here on The East Coast. There is a definite change in temperature and humidity is virtually gone. Not exactly my wish for our very last week of school vacation but it has been sunny and warm enough so I really shouldn't complain. I still envision kids in the sprinkler at this point but it's just a little too chilly for that right now.  With the change in season and everything that goes along with that I feel the stress of trying to get all of the last things crossed off our Summer "to do" list. Every year I say the same thing: Summer flies by too quickly!  We have to make the most of it! We've had a wonderful Summer, with lots of laid-back days, fun times with friends and family, and sweet moments as we welcomed our puppy into our family.  That being said, we still have a little bit of time to make a trip out to the farm for peach picking, a trip to our local stand for fresh corn, more bike riding and a visit to the playground.

There is just something about the freshest, local produce that I miss all Winter long and that has me scrambling to make all of my favorite recipes before those foods are no longer available. At the top of my list? Fresh salsa!  Salsa is absolutely one of my favorite things to make and my "go to" snack. I absolutely think I could live on chips and salsa alone...throw in a little extra protein and I'm a happy camper! I've shared some of my favorite salsa recipes over the years, here are a few of my favorites:
Corn Salsa
Fruit Salsa
Black Bean Salad
Of course I've probably pinned an additional 500 various salsa recipes and a few weeks ago my friend gave me another yummy option which was easy and delicious. I altered it a little bit to use local ingredients but this chunky salsa is something you could make all year round. Living in the Northeast that is wonderful since I won't have a chance to buy local all year.  I love having options that will work for me throughout the year.  I was also considering going up to our local farmstand and grabbing some of their corn and just cutting it off the cob for freezing.  Never having done that before, does it work?  How yummy would that taste while watching the Super Bowl and routing on the Patriots ;-)?

Black Bean Salsa
1 can black beans, drained
1 can black eyed peas, drained and mixed
1 can corn mixed (you could use frozen or fresh too)
1 can petite diced tomatoes drained or fresh
1/2 red onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 can diced green chilies or jalapenos
1/2 cup Italian dressing (the recipe called for 1 cup but I used 1/2 cup of Newman's Own Lime and it was delicious!
Mix it all up and enjoy!
So for now we are making plenty of fresh and yummy salads and enjoying the last moments of Summer as they come to an end. I know Summer doesn't "officially" end until September but when I start hearing those school buses go by, I know the we are back to our schedule and the days will bring new moments and a routine.  Now to enjoy it, that's the goal!

Comments

  1. i enjoy tomato salsa, don't get me wrong. however, black bean salsa is so far superior, i can't even compare the two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite kind of salsa! Sounds so delicious right now, if only I had chips at home!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts