Riley proclaimed these were "Cracker Cookies" sort of a mix between both but definitely crisp, sweet and nothing like we've tasted from a box. True homemade goodness, these are perfect for a snack or a healthy dessert.
1 cup all-purpose flour (I use King Arthur)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons wheat germ
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup peeled grated apple
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
I also threw in a handful of dried apricots and dried cranberries, this isn't in the original recipe but they only added to their flavor
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Place the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, wheat germ and cinnamon in a bowl, stir to combine
3. Add the grated apple to the flour mixture and, using your hands, toss to coat the shredded apple.
4. Add the oil and continue to work with your hands until a dough comes together. This will take 2-3 minutes, keep working until the dough is smooth
5. Shape the apple-cinnamon dough into a flat rectangular disk and let it rest for 1-2 minutes. Roll out the dough 1/2 inch think on parchment paper or a clean, dry surface.
6. Using a knife, cut the dough into sticks - 2 inches long by 1/4 inch wide - or cut out shapes if you have a small cookie cutter.
7. Bake the stinks on a Silpat or parchment-lined cookie sheet for 20 minutes or until golden.
8. Cool and serve. The sticks keep well for 3-4 days on the counter, covered
I would recommend keeping a double batch of these on hand. They go quickly!